Mountain Bike Skills
By Beth Puliti
Step-by-Step Riding Guides
It’s easier to master a technique after you’ve watched someone else perform it--and that’s exactly what this section is all about. Click through these step-by-step guides for some one-on-one instruction that will help you sharpen your mountain biking skills.
- How To Ride Over a Log
- How To Master A Technical Descent
- How To Jump Off An Obstacle
- How To Change a Bicycle Pedal
- How To Mount Cleats On Bike Shoes
Maintenance & Repair
Don’t let common bike problems keep you from cranking your pedals. Learn how to properly maintain your bike to prevent predicaments on the trail. Becoming skilled at a few basic repair techniques is also a good idea to get you back in the saddle should a mechanical occur.
- ‘Un-Stick’ Your Seized Seatpost
- Keep Your Mountain Bike Clean
- Change Your Bicycle Pedals
- Fix a Torn Casing on the Trail
Fitness & Training
Fitness and mountain biking go hand in hand—whether you’re looking to increase your overall mountain biking endurance or simply pedal your way up that seemingly insurmountable climb. Learn the appropriate diet and exercises for cycling.
- Eat Properly to Improve Performance
- How to Avoid Mountain Biking Injuries
- Spin Class Basics
- Pilates for Mountain Bikers
I wish someone had sat me down and told me how to prepare for my first mountain bike race. You'll find that - and more - here. Learn about the many different types of racing, how you should go about preparing for your first race and find out the results from Olympic events. Plus, get inside the minds of professional mountain bike racers with exclusive Q&As.